- 1 1/2 bell peppers (red diced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 240 gr brown (cooked)
- 150 gr corn (frozen thawed)
- 130 gr chicken (skinless cooked diced)
- 240 ml low-salt chicken broth
- 90 gr mozzarella cheese
- 60 ml nonfat sour cream (plus)
- 60 gr onion (chopped)
- 30 ml dijon mustard
- 10 ml olive oil
- 7 gr parsley (chopped)
- 3 gr thyme (dried)
- 1 gr black pepper (freshly ground)
1. Preheat the oven to 425 oF. Spray a 1.5 quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, warm the oil until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion begins to brown, 3-5 minutes.
3. Add the bell peppers, corn quarter cup of the broth, the thyme and black pepper, and continue cooking until the bell pepper begins to soften, 3-5 minutes.
4. Stir in the remaining 0.75 cup broth, the rice, sour cream, and mustard. Add the chicken, remove from the heat, and stir until well combined. Stir in one-third of the mozzarella and the parsley.
5. Transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole. Spread the mixture evenly. Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the casserole is heated through and the cheese has melted.
Microwave Shortcuts: In a 2 litre microwave safe casserole, combine the oil, onion, garlic and bell peppers. Cover and cook at high for 4 minutes, or until the peppers and onion begin to soften. Stir in the corn, half cup of the broth, the thyme, black pepper, rice, sour cream, mustard, and chicken. Stir in one-third of the mozzarella and the parsley. Re-cover and cook at high for 7 minutes, stirring once. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and cook at high for 3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through.
Each serving provides: half fat, 3 proteins, half vegetable (adjusted to new program), 1.5 breads, 20 optional calories.
Nutrition Information: Values are approximate per serving: 378 calories, 28 g protein, dozen g fat, 39 g carbohydrate, 63 mg cholesterol, 557 mg sodium.
Serving Suggestion: Slice tomatoes and sprinkle them liberally with fresh basil. For dessert, serve crisp almond biscotti with freshly brewed coffee.